PROGRAMME FOR 2017/2018
Our aim to ENCOURAGE THE YOUNG PERFORMER
- Saturday 18 November 2017: THE SOA ANNUAL LUNCH AND RECITAL – BURY ST EDMUNDS
- Saturday 20 January 2018: A VICTORIAN DAY IN IPSWICH
- Saturday 10 February 2018: A DAY WITH BOUDICCA IN COLCHESTER
- Saturday 17 March 2018: A KIST OF WHISTLES
- Saturday 14 April 2018: A DAY IN NORFOLK
- Saturday 19 May 2018 : ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING AT ST PETER’S CHURCH SUDBURY
We expect members, who wish to play the various instruments we visit, to perform a well prepared piece lasting no longer than 5 minutes.
We always give a gift to the Churches we visit of £40. Sometimes there are other costs involved; we invite members, visitors and guests to make a contribution of £10 per meeting.
Where there is no specific date requested for a meeting, members are asked to let the Hon. Secretary, Stephen Hogger, email@example.com know A WEEK IN ADVANCE that they are attending please.
This programme is liable to last minute alterations.
Saturday 18 November 2017: THE SOA ANNUAL LUNCH AND RECITAL – BURY ST EDMUNDS
12.00 for 12.15: Meet at The Fox Inn, 1 Eastgate Street, Bury St. Edmunds IP33 1XX for the lunch. The up to date menu may be found on their website Please pre-order from the menu through the Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday 4 November.
Our guests will be Alex and Dora Binns – Alex was appointed Sub–Organist at the Cathedral in 2016. At 14.00 we shall make our way to St Mary’s Church where c.14.30 Alex will give an organ recital. You will have the opportunity to play the organ after the recital. Finish c.16.00 Donation £10
NO MEETING IN DECEMBER
Saturday 20 January 2018: A VICTORIAN DAY IN IPSWICH
- 11.30, The President, Martin Ellis, and Andrew Leach will give a short recital in St Mary’s at the Elms Church, including the Duet for Organ by Samuel Wesley.
- c. 12.30: Lunch (optional) at Arlington’s in Museum Street where you could meet the speaker for the afternoon.
- c14.00 we cross the road to the warm environment of Museum Street Methodist Church for a lecture given by The Rev’d Canon Dr Nicholas Thistlethwaite lately Canon Precentor and Sub Dean of Guildford Cathedral. His subject: The organ builders Gray and Davidson. Nicholas is writing a book about this important Victorian firm. His PhD was the iconic book The Making of the Victorian Organ.
- Tea and cake will be provided. Finish: c.16.00
Saturday 10 February 2018: A DAY WITH BOUDICCA IN COLCHESTER
- Travel: by Car. At 11.00 we meet at St Botolph’s Church where Colin Nicholson will demonstrate the organ. You will have the opportunity to play the instrument.
- At 12.30 walk up in to the Town centre and make for lunch – own arrangements.
- At 14.00 we meet at Lion Walk URC for a Master Class. We shall welcome three young organists. David Pipe (former ADOM York Minster; Founder of the new Leeds RC Diocesan Organ School will help these young players to improve their performances.
- c.15.30: Tea and Cake
- At 16.00: David will give a recital on the 3 manual HNB/ Walker organ Finish: c.1700.
Saturday 17 March 2018: A KIST OF WHISTLES AND TWO RECITALS BY STUDENT MEMBERS!
Please note this is a change to the programme.
- At 13.30 Gather at Christ Church URC/Baptist, Tacket Street Ipswich where Gilbert Jackson will give a short organ recital.
- At 14.00 John Norman will give a power point presentation A Kist of Whistles helping us to understand the pipework which lies behind the name on the stop knob at the console.
- At 15.30 Tea and Cake
- At 16.00 Jonathan Palman will give a recital on the 3 Manual Bishop/Hill Norman & Beard organ Finish c. 17.00
Saturday 14 April 2018: A DAY IN NORFOLK
- Travel: by Train – Colchester 08.23, Manningtree 08.31, Ipswich 08.44, Stowmarket 08.55. Change at Norwich.
- At 11.00 we meet at St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Cromer. The organist, David Shippey, will demonstrate the instrument (N&B 1888/1948 Bower 4 manual) after which you will have the opportunity to play the organ.
- c.12.30: Lunch own arrangements and a stroll on the prom! We shall retrace our steps to the station.
- 14.58 train to North Walsham.
- At the Parish Church at c.15.30, Harrison Cole, another of our young members will give a recital after which you may play the organ (3 manual Hill 1875 HNB 1964 Bower 2010)
- After Tea and Cake retrace our steps to the station and board the 17.15 to Norwich where we shall change on to the 18.00 Stowmarket, Ipswich, Manningtree and Colchester train./li>
Saturday 19 May 2018: ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING AT ST PETER’S CHURCH SUDBURY
- Venue To be confirmed At 15.00 hours, Nicholas Freestone, Organ Scholar of St Paul’s Cathedral will give a recital (Lewis 3 manual).
- After Tea and Cake, we shall hold the Association AGM at 16.30. Finish c. 17.30