Join us in these exciting events!
PROGRAMME FOR 2018 / 2019
Saturday 11 May 2019 – AGM at Eye preceded by the Annual Association Lunch at the Black Horse at Thorndon.
PROGRAMME FOR 2019 / 2020
Some of these arrangements are provisional but this affords an outline of the proposed 2019/2020 programme. More detail below.
- Friday/Saturday 7 and 8 June 2019: Kings Lynn - Boston - Spilsby - Skegness
- Saturday 13 July 2019 Old Independent Chapel Haverhill
- Saturday 31 August 2019: Surrey: Reigate and Betchworth has been CANCELLED
- Saturday 21 September 2019: Organ Competitions
- Saturday 5 October 2019: German Romantic School of Organ Music. ALSO Extraordinary General Meeting 4pm St Mary le Tower
- Saturday 2 November 2019: French Romantic School of Organ Music
- Saturday 25 January 2020 Annual Association Lunch
- Saturday 15 February 2020: Trinity College Cambridge CANCELLED
- Monday 2 March 2020: Central London Outing CANCELLED
- Saturday 4 April 2020: Conducting and training a choir CANCELLED
- Monday 20 April to Thursday 23 April 2020: Three day visit to Edinburgh CANCELLED
- Saturday 16 May 2020: Organ Recital and the AGM. CANCELLED
Saturday 13 July 2019 Old Independent Chapel Haverhill
Meet at 2.00pm for a lecture recital on the English Romantic School of Organ Music to be given by the President, Martin Ellis, assisted by members young and old, including Christopher Moore who will give a performance of Stanford’s Sonata Britannica and William Baldry who will play the Prelude in C by Edward Bairstow and Marche Heroique by Herbert Brewer.
Tea and Cake will be available at the end of the afternoon
Saturday 31 August 2019: Surrey: Reigate and Betchworth CANCELLED
By Coach to Surrey Leaving Ipswich at 8.00am and calling at Marks Tey, we will travel to St Mary’s Church Reigate to hear and play the 1911 Norman& Beard organ which has recently been restored by Nicholsons.
After this we will travel to Betchworth and have lunch at the Dolphin before crossing over the road to St Michael’s Parish Church to hear and play the Tickell organ which was Kenneth’s last installation before he died in 2014. We shall leave Betchworth for Suffolk at around 4.00pm.
Saturday 21 September 2019: Organ Competitions
: Bury St Edmunds Baptist Chapel and St Mary’s Parish Church. Adjudicator: Dr Joseph Fort: Organist and Director of Chapel Music and Lecturer at Kings College London.
Saturday 5 October 2019: German Romantic School of Organ Music
Meet at St Mary le Tower at 11.00am when the President, Martin Ellis, will give a recital including Sonata No.7 by Rheinberger, Andante and Variations by Mendelssohn and the Sonata on the 94th Psalm by Reubke.
After lunch at the local hostelry, we shall proceed to Christ Church Tacket Street where, at 2.00pm, Roger Pulham will show part of the DVD 'Reger – the last giant'. Tea and Cake will end the day around 4.00pm.
Saturday 25 January 2020 Annual Association Lunch
: Meet at 12.15pm for 12.30pm for the Association Annual Lunch at Admirals House, Tower Street, Ipswich. We will proceed to Christ Church, Tacket Street for a short recital at 2.00pm given by Paul Austen and Hugh Singleton.
Saturday 15 February 2020: Trinity College Cambridge CANCELLED
: By Coach to Cambridge leaving Ipswich at 8.30am. Harrison Cole will give a recital on the Organ of Trinity College after which members will be able to play the instrument which has recently undergone some technical changes. Harrison will arrange for us to visit another College nearby before lunch.
At 2.00pm we will assemble at Wesley Methodist Church for a recital by some of our Student Members on the William Hill 1841 Organ which was originally built for the Eastbrook Hall Methodist Mission in Bradford. Most of the Hill features were preserved and enhanced when it was moved to Cambridge about twenty years ago by Percy Daniels and Co. As usual, Tea and Cake will be served at the end of the meeting. Members will be able to play this interesting instrument. Return to Ipswich by c. 6.30pm.
Monday 2 March 2020: Central London Outing CANCELLED
: By the 08.43 train to London. Hear and play the Organs of St Peter’s Eaton Square and St Saviour’s Church, Pimlico before attending Evensong at Westminster Abbey at 5.00pm.
After which it is 90% certain we can cross to Methodist Central Hall to hear and play the 4 manual Hill/Harrison organ rebuilt in 2011. We shall return on the 20.30hrs train from Liverpool Street.
Saturday 4 April 2020: Conducting and training a choir CANCELLED
Christopher Moore will help our Student members in the art of conducting and training a choir. This is an opportunity to bring along partners and members of choirs you may train or sing with.
The anthems will be taken from the latest version of Oxford Easy Anthems. We will gather at 2.00pm at St Matthews Church Ipswich. As usual – Tea and Cake! NB: No parking at the Church. Park in Car Park next to the Wolsey Theatre and pray for no home match!
Monday 20 April to Thursday 23 April 2020: Three day visit to Edinburgh CANCELLED
By train. More details to come later. There is a Premier Inn in Princes Street and a Holiday Inn close by Waverley Station. Please book your hotel well in advance for the three night stay as Edinburgh is always busy.
The President Elect, Martin Ellis is in touch with Dr John Kitchen who with James Crowe will help him with the visits to organs around the City. A two day organ crawl!!
Saturday 16 May 2020: Organ Recital and the AGM. CANCELLED
At 3.00pm, Jeremy Lloyd, Assistant DOM at Rochester Cathedral,will give an Organ Recital on the Hele 3 manual organ in Stowmarket Parish Church.
We will proceed to Stowmarket URC for Tea and Cake followed by the AGM of the Association.
Here were the details made by the President-Elect, Nicholas Jardine, now President, of the meetings which he had planned to take place subsequent to the cancelled AGM of May 2020. Sadly none of these events were able to take place because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Saturday 13 June 2020 2pm A talk by John Norman: British Organ Builders and the Search for the Bach organ (Ipswich)
- Saturday 11 July 2020 2pm Roger Green: Improvisation Workshop (Stowmarket)
- Saturday 15 August 2020 2pm Members play JS Bach at St. Nicholas's Church, Witham with Ricahrd Brasier
- Saturday 26 September 2020 [all day](Elms + St Mary-le-Tower Ipswich) Annual Organ Competitions: Adjudicator Catherine Ennis
- Saturday 24 October 2020 Ashley Grote - Lecture/Recital: The influence of Buxtehude on Bach (Lion Walk Colchester)
- Thursday 19 November 2020 7.30pm St Mary-le-Tower Ipswich Michael Frith: Talk about and performance of Messiaen's Nativite
- Saturday 23 January 2021 Organists and Architecture: A talk by Roger Pulham. (Ipswich)
- Saturday 21 February 2021 Composite Recital by members at St. Mary's Church Woodbridge
- Saturday 21 March 2021 Suffolk Organs: A day out in the country.
- Saturday 17 April Bach Plus: A recital by Peter Crompton (RHS Holbrook)
- Saturday 8 May 2021 AGM (venue TBC)